'Yet Anwar Ibrahim himself chose to give no more than a statement from the dock. Unlike his victim, he refused cross-examination. This was his right under the law, but a right he used to attack the prosecution, the judges, and his former colleagues in government. He has undermined the reputation of his own country'
'Consider how this matter first arose. As Hansard (dated 22 October 1997, 18 December 1997) recalls, the very first time an MP stood up in parliament holding a statutory declaration that accused Anwar Ibrahim of sexual – homosexual – assault, Anwar Ibrahim was Deputy Prime Minister and his accuser was not a member of the government, but in fact an opposition MP from the DAP. And who was his original accuser? The late Karpal Singh MP, a brilliant lawyer. Any account of the criminal and then political downfall of Anwar Ibrahim should recall who threw the first stone'
'The only politically motivated actions here are those of Anwar Ibrahim and his supporters who have been demanding that the case be dropped'
Lawyer/DPP Shafee Abdullah
Anwar's Sodomy Case: Highlights Of Summary Of Judgment
PUTRAJAYA, Feb 10 (Bernama) -- Following are some of the highlights of the Federal Court's judgment in upholding the conviction and five-year jail sentence imposed on Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim by the Court of Appeal on the charge of sodomising his former aide Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan.
Leading the five-member bench was Chief Justice Datuk Arifin Zakaria. The other justices on the panel were Court of Appeal president Tan Sri Raus Sharif and Federal Court judges Tan Sri Abdull Hamid Embong, Tan Sri Suriyadi Halim Omar and Datuk Ramly Ali.
* Federal Court convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Mohd Saiful had been sodomised by Anwar as charged.
* The Federal Court panel of judges agreed with the Court of Appeal that Anwar had not created any reasonable doubt on the prosecution's case and that the prosecution has established its case beyond reasonble doubt.
* The scientific evidence (medical and DNA) adduced by the prosecution clearly established that sperm cells belonging to Anwar were found in the lower and upper rectum of Mohd Saiful.
* The Federal Court said the only logical explanation from the above is Mohd Saiful must have been sodomised by Anwar.
* Federal Court held that the defence of political conspiracy remained a mere allegation unsubstantiated by any credible evidence.
* Federal Court found Mohd Saiful to be a credible witness
* The panel found Mohd Saiful not a willing participant in the offence but in fact a victim
* The Federal Court judges were of the view that the trial (high court) judge erred in imposing the "100 per cent certainty" standard of proof on the part of the prosecution to refute the possibility of the DNA samples taken from Mohd Saiful being compromised.
* The correct standard of proof to constitute proof beyond reasonable doubt need not reach certainty but carry a high degree of probability, said the panel.
* Federal Court fould the possibility of the integrity of the samples taken from Mohd Saiful having been compromised as remote.
The DPP speaketh:
Anwar Ibrahim verdict – Muhammad Shafee Abdullah