"Bagai rumah sudah siap tetapi pahat masih berbunyi", even though the RCI Report on Teoh Beng Hock death has been made public, there are still voices who are challenging the RCI conclusion that the late Teoh Beng Hock died by committing suicide.
The voices notably the Bar Council and presumably soon to be joined by lawyers acting for Teoh's family are saying that it could not be suicide.
Read the RCI Report here.
Read the Bar Council Press Release here.
The Bar seemed to agree with most of the points concluded by the RCI but remains unconvinced about the suicide finding:
"The Malaysian Bar, however, does not concur with the finding by the RCI that Teoh Beng Hock had committed suicide. Such a finding, in our view, is unsupported by the facts and the evidence"
Having read the findings of the RCI in their report in particular the FORENSIC PATHOLOGICAL ASPECT pages 38 to 45, I find that the Bar selective findings rather mind boggling. It is clear that there was no struggle before the late Teoh exited the window where he consciously jumped to his death. It is clear therefore that Teoh committed suicide.
It was noted that the RCI, in its report, established that Teoh committed suicide following an aggressive, relentless, oppressive and unscrupulous interrogation session. It also found that MACC officers had no intention and reason to kill Teoh, and had only questioned him to obtain a confession so that Teoh could become a witness in the case of alleged irregularities involving Teoh's former Boss, DAP Adun Ean Yong.
I note that while the RCI concluded that the intensive interrogation drove Teoh to commit suicide it does not however analysed why he committed suicide. I guess its not within the RCI Terms of reference.
My thoughts are:
- I agree that Teoh committed suicide.
- I wonder why he committed suicide, what was he thinking?
- MACC got nothing to gain with Teoh's death but plenty of brickbats from the public.
- Ean Yong's investigation was immediately stopped after Teoh's death, shouldn't the MACC restart the investigation?
- The MACC must go through the RCI report with a fine tooth comb to adhere to what have been recommended. The 3 identified MACC officers needs to be investigated for possible abuse of power.
- All MACC buildings must have security grill for windows and doors.
- Access to witnesses and suspect in the MACC building should be limited to the interrogation room and rest in toilets must be accompanied.
- The BN and the Government has nothing to apologize for Teoh's death by suicide.
I have no further comment on the matter for now.