MAY 30, 2014
Several individuals are being sought by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) for insulting the Malay rulers.
MCMC chairman Datuk Mohamed Sharil Tarmizi said several derogatory remarks were posted on social media after the Sultan of Perak passed away.
The late Sultan of Perak, Sultan Azlan Shah, passed away at 1.30pm on Wednesday at the National Heart Institute in Kuala Lumpur. He was 86.
His eldest son, Raja Nazrin Shah, was proclaimed as the 35th Sultan of Perak.
"We are working to trace the individuals responsible for the derogatory postings and appeal to the public to assist MCMC," Sharil said in a brief statement today.
"This is not an issue to be taken lightly and action will be taken against these irresponsible individuals under the Multimedia and Communications Act 1998."
Under Section 233(1)(a) of the Multimedia and Communications Act 1998, a person can be sentenced up to a year's jail and fined RM50,000.
In June 2012, a 29-year-old engineer was given the maximum sentence by the Sessions Court for posting comments deemed insulting to the Sultan of Perak.
Chan Hon Keong was sentenced to a year's jail and fined RM50,000, in lieu of five month's jail.
It is the maximum sentence provided under Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
Chan had been charged with improper use of network facilities or service by knowingly posting comments that insulted the Sultan on the website.
In November last year, a mobile phone shop owner was fined RM15,000 for insulting Sultan Azlan Shah in 2009.
Rutinin Suhaimin, 41, from Ranau, was found guilty of posting remarks insulting Sultan Azlan Shah on a blog on February 13, 2009. – May 30, 2014.
Hope the MCMC people will trace the culprits and bring them to justice.
I like this:
I like this: